Monday, October 31, 2011

Fun with a $1300 3D printer - featuring @ryneches in my lab

Just a quick one here.  I am posting some links to videos and blog posts about efforts by a student in my lab - Russell Neches - to use 3D printing to help with carrying out high throughput studies of microbial diversity. Basically the idea is that we can use new very cheap 3D printer technologies to help with normalizing sample volumes by printing in essence micro titer dishes with variable well depth. For more on this see some of the links/videos/etc below:  

From Russell's blog:
Some of Russell's videos







Aggie TV news story about Russell's work on this:

 

5 comments:

  1. Hmm. I wish this could count as my candidacy exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice video from Aggie. How long does the printing take for the titer plate

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my current design and the current firmware, about 70 minutes.

    There are some shortcuts I can make in the design that will cut that down by about 50%, and there are pending updates for the firmware that should double or triple the print speed. So, I should be able to get a print finished in about 20 minutes, give or take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty cool!
    Have fun playing with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you will be able to pay a assertive artefact or account through credit, you will commonly yield advantage of it rather than paying it in cash.

    business envelope printing

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...